As I described a while back, the Office Web Apps Server (formerly known as WAC) is required by both Lync 2013 and Exchange 2013 in order to make some of the functionalities work. Admitted, Exchange 2013 doesn’t actually require Office Web Apps, but if you want to take advantage of the preview-capabilities in Outlook Web App, you’ll have to deploy it anyway.

Installing and configuring the Office Web Apps Server isn’t all that difficult. If you followed my article correctly, you should end up with a working setup.

Curiously enough, it was a customer that pointed this out to me, if you run Get-OfficeWebAppsMachine on one of your servers, you’ll see that the health state of the Office Web Apps server is “Unhealthy”; even if it’s working as expected:

SNAGHTMLb0cea0a

In the meanwhile, I have been digging into the issue but haven’t found the reason why it is reporting "Unhealthy” or even how to do anything about it. TechNet is really lacking on documentation as there’s not much info about it out there…

It seems that Office Web Apps is regularly polling for the state of several components and – based on the results – defines the health state. Given that some of these polls are failing (I have no idea why), I suspect the HealthStatus being set to Unhealthy.

If it were pure aesthetically, you could go to the following path and alter the topology.xml file, because it’s that file from where the Get-OfficeWebAppsMachine reads it state:

image

image

Anyway, as long as there’s no confirmation from Microsoft you should probably stay away from editing this file. Additionally, it will get overwritten when the server get polled for it’s health again.

Either way, I’m looking to get to the bottom of this. As soon as I’ve found something useful, I’ll get back to you. One thing is clear though: along the way of trying to get this solved, I did find some other interesting stuff I’d like to share with you soon.

In the meanwhile, if you have more information or if you see the same (weird) behavior, feel free to leave a message!

17 comments

  1. I see the same behaviour, you could see detailed information on checks failed in the ULS logs. But nothing clear to understand. For me WAC doesnt work, i even tried a new WAC server on windows 2008 R2 SP1 because my first attempt was on winserv 2012. Only error i see is it says WebReady viewing is disabled by your administrator.

      1. sorry for the late response, i was on vacation. i have the issue with all file types i tried .doc, .xlsx,.pptx – url is configured only internal with https. certificate is installed. the discovery url is giving correct xmls file listing when access locally from the wac server and from the cas servers. the error is still the same.

  2. I saw the same issue… I then installed the latest updates to Office Web Apps Server and this issue went away. Have you try installing the latest patches?

    1. thanks Dan for the response, i am trying my third setup now. with a freshly downloaded .iso file. i will try first, then if still fails. i will try the update. will post the feedback here.

    2. It was a good tip, but unfortunately that didn’t solve the problem for me. I’ve installed the latest available patches, and still got the error.
      Still wondering what might trigger it… I will probably log a case for it and report back afterwards.

      Cheers,

      Michael

  3. today i have tried with my 3rd instance of wac server. with no success. after that i have applied the latest patch. still no success. owa still say “webready viewing is disabled by your administrator”. wacviewing is enabled on owamailboxpolicy and on owavirtual directories. and also enabled wacdiscovery. i get event 140 and 142 as well. i did even force wacviewing first on public and private computers.
    but nothing of this gives me it working.
    i have lots of entries in the ULS logs with level “Unexpected” and my topology.xml always shows machinestate as “unhealthy” – any suggestion is much appreciated.

    1. Interesting article. I did give his findings a go, but – for now – without success. It seems that the 404 error is now gone, but it doesn’t render the machine into a healthy state.

      I’ll give it some more time and try to dig a little deeper later on.

  4. In my case I installed HTTP Activation for .NET Framework 4.5 WCF services and restarted the WACSM service. The server was not immediately put into a healthy state, but checking it some time later the state is now “Healthy”.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s