A while back, I wrote an article about the curious health problems of the Office Web Apps Server. In short, no matter how you installed the Office Web Apps server, it would end up in an unhealthy state when querying the Office Web Apps machine:
(Get-OfficeWebAppsFarm).Machine or Get-OfficeWebAppsMachine
To know more about the problem, have a look at my original article.
today, I received an interesting comment on the blog referring to an article from Wictor Willén, here.
In fact, Wictor found to two possible (partial?) problems to the problem of the “Unhealthy” health state:
1. Certificate-related issues
2. Missing Windows Components.
As I read through his article, I quickly ruled out my problem was related to certificate-issues. For more information on how to configure the certificate for Office Web Apps farms, have a look at my article here or have a look at Wictor’s blog post.
The second part, however, drew my attention as I was getting the exact same 404-error when executing the following command:
So, I went ahead and installed the “missing” HTTP Activation component for the .NET Framework 4.5 as Wictor also suggested in his article.
After the installation, I restarted the WAC Service (Restart-Service WACSM), only to find out the health state of the Office Web Apps machine was still “Unhealthy”. However, after waiting a bit longer, I could see that the Office Web Apps machine automatically became “Healthy” again. Similar like in Exchange 2013, you have to wait for it’s Health Probe to run in order to “notice” the health state change.
Note that after installing the HTTP Activation feature, the results from the Invoke-WebRequest cmdlet no longer throw an 404-error, but rather something similar:
For now, it seems safe to say that this actually solved the problem. I haven’t had much time to look into this issue, and I’m not pretending that I would’ve found it, but given the relative easy solution I’m wondering why on earth that Microsoft didn’t add this into their documentation regarding how to Deploy Office Web Apps Server.
A big thanks goes out to @GnettTechnology for pointing out the article and of course also to Wictor himself for putting the article out there. If you encounter a similar problem, I strongly suggest you go and have a look at his site: